Follow the history of the company from its creation to the present day
1640: A family firm gets off the ground
In 1640, the Muquet family of Aveyron founded their first carpentry workshop, known as petite cognée and grande cognée, in reference to the size of project undertaken. Over the centuries and a succession of nine generations, the age-old traditions of carpentry, joinery and cabinetmaking have been passed down from father to son.
This inherited dexterity and artisanal skill in which the hands of the craftsman become one with the wood convey the company’s insistence on perfection and uniquely beautiful objects beautifully made.
Nearly a century later, during the reign of Louis XV, a set of designs signed by Jean-Pierre Muquet in 1737 evidences the company’s professionalism and the love of craftsmanship as it continues to thrive in its specialist field of fine joinery and cabinetry.
At the end of the 19th century, the Muquet family left Occitanie and relocated to Boulogne-Billancourt, near Paris.
To read the next chapter of the story click here